- Honorary Consuls
- General Information about Luxembourg
- Useful Adresses
Londres > Visas & Passports >
Visas & Passports
The Luxembourg Embassy is introducing a new appointment system for all Schengen visa applications. Please contact the Embassy on Tel. 020 7235 6961 to book an appointment.
The Luxembourg Embassy also requests that all original documents supporting a visa application must be submitted with their photocopies that the Embassy will keep.
Who needs a visa?
For information on who needs a visa, please click on http://www.mae.lu/en/content/view/full/3269
Types of visa
Short stay visa: for visits not exceeding three months to one of the " Schengen countries ".This visa may be valid for one or multiple entries, provided the single visit or the total of the successive visits do not exceed three months, however, the duration of the visa will be determined by the hotel booking, personal invitation or business invitation provided at the time of the application.
Long stay visa: for visits exceeding three months.
If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.
If you intend to visit several Schengen countries without having a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the first country that requires you to have a visa. Please note that we do not accept postal applications. Application should therefore be made in person at the Embassy or Consulate that is responsible for your place of residence.
Necessary documents to submit
A passport or official travel document accepted by the Schengen countries and valid for at least three months longer than the validity of the visa with a blank page to affix the visa sticker. Note: if the validity of a passport or official travel document is restricted to only a few Schengen countries, it is still possible to issue a visa. Its validity will, however, be limited only to the countries which accept the passport or official travel document.
- One (1) application form duly completed and signed by the applicant with two (2) passport size photographs.
- Proof of the purpose of your visit: for business applications, please provide an invitation letter from your Luxembourg business contact.For visits to friends and family, please provide an official invitation ‘engagement de prise charge’ signed by the host’s local authorities and countersigned by the Luxembourg Visa Department. The ‘engagement de prise en charge’ must be accompanied by 3 wage slips from the host with a certified copy of his/her passport and if applicable, his/her residence permit. For tourism, please provide a confirmed hotel booking and a confirmed onward or return ticket (to be shown on application).
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your intended stay (e.g. traveller cheques, credit cards or bank statement).
- Adequate travel medical insurance valid for the time of your proposed stay (European Health Insurance Card not accepted for this purpose).
- A letter from your employer or, if you are self-employed, from your solicitor, accountant or the Chamber of Commerce. Business references may also be required. If you are a student, please submit a letter from the school, college or university confirming attendance. Depending on the circumstances of your application, you may be requested to produce further documentation.
Cost of visa
The Luxembourg Embassy charges the equivalent of €60 in £ Sterling for all Schengen visas, payable in cash on application. This fee is non-refundable. Please contact the Luxembourg Embassy for the current fee in sterling as it fluctuates against the euro.
Some concessions will apply
- the visa is free of charge for children under the age of 6, students and teachers travelling on an official school trip and scientists visiting Luxembourg for research purposes. a reduced visa fee is charged until further notice to the Nationals of Russia and Ukraine.
- a visa is free of charge to the spouse and children of a citizen of an EU-member state upon presentation of the original marriage certificate (duly translated, if the marriage did not take place in Great Britain) and the EU-citizen's passport. For children, the original full birth certificates are required.
Office hours of the Luxembourg Embassy in London are Monday to Friday from 10 am to 12 midday (the last application is taken at 11:45). Offices will be closed on British Bank Holidays.
If you are not sure whether you require a visa to visit a particular Schengen country or if you need further information not covered by this information sheet, please call the Schengen visa information line of the Schengen member state in question. All other telephone enquiries on 020 7235 6962 (from 2.30 to 5 pm only) if Luxembourg is your first entry/main destination.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control and are not guaranteed entry into any of the Schengen countries, even though they may hold a valid visa for these countries.
For more information, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration website
All passport applicants are now fingerprinted and must therefore apply in person. Please call the Luxembourg Embassy on Tel. 020 7235 6961 to book an appointment.
Biometric passports were introduced in Luxembourg on 28 August 2006. They are valid for two years for children under 4, and for five years from the age of 4. Biometric passports are not renewable.
5 year passport – the requirements are:
- A completed and signed application form ' Demande de Passeport Biométrique '. Please kindly note that married women MUST sign their application form in their maiden name.
- A valid Luxembourg identity card or a valid Luxembourg passport as proof of nationality. If the applicant has neither, then a ‘certificat de nationalité’ will be required (please contact the Service Indigénat on 00 352 2478 4532).
- One passport size photograph (45 mm x 35 mm). The photo must comply with the standards set by the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization). The passport photo should be recent, in colour, of good quality, shot frontally, mouth closed, 70% to 80% of which are occupied by the facial image itself.
- Two utility bills as proof of residence in the UK (except for students who need a registration letter from their UK university).
- If married, a marriage certificate.
- For minors (under the age of 18 years): a declaration signed by the parents that the minor lives with them and a birth certificate. However, if the parents are divorced or separated, a copy of the legal document relating to the separation or divorce showing that the child resides with the parent countersigning the child’s application form.
- A proof of bank transfer of the Passport fee of 50€ (see hereunder) -
2 year passport for a child under the age of 4 - the requirements are:
- A completed application form ' Demande de Passeport Biométrique ' signed by the child and/or countersigned by one of his/her parents
- One passport size photograph (same requirements as above)
- A birth certificate
- a 'certificat de nationalité' for all newborn babies (please contact the Service Indigénat on 00 352 2478 4532)
- Valid Luxembourg passport of the Luxembourg parent(s)
- A declaration signed by the parents that the child lives with them · If the parents are divorced or separated, a copy of the legal document relating to the separation or divorce showing that the child resides with the parent countersigning the child’s application form
- A proof of bank transfer of the Passport fee of 30€ (see hereunder)
Before lodging your application at the Consulate, please transfer 50 Euros (for a 5 year passport) or 30 Euros (for a 2 year passport) to the account below :
Name / Account title: Trésorerie de l'Etat - Bureau des Passeports Address: 43, Boulevard Roosevelt, L-2450
Luxembourg Account no: IBAN LU12 0019 1255 2241 8000 / BIC Code: BCEELULL
Bank name: Banque et Caisse d'Epargne de l'Etat (BCEE)
Address: Luxembourg Country: Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Please mention: "Demande de passeport biométrique au nom de "first name / last name"
(The Consulate is not responsible for any additional fees you may encounter.)